Much of this is probably acoustics 101 basics but I'd appreciate the help as I do most stuff by ear and I know there are people here who really understand the science of this stuff.
I've been tinkering with my two Model 19 setups trying to get the best sound from them possible. I've got the 19's in my in home recording studio sounding great. I keep my newer pair of Santana II's on top of the 19's in that room (my older 19's from 1976) and they sound phenomenal when I play the 19's and Santana II's in that room all at once. This past week I've been focusing on the Model 19 setup in my rec-room. I've got my older pair of Santana II's on top of the 19's in that room (my newer 19's from 1978). I own a spare pair of original tweeters for the Santana II's (from Ebay) and I installed them this week. What a difference! Now my older pair of Santana II's sound just as bright as my newer pair of Santana II's whereas before I swapped out the original tweeters for the (original) pair that I bought on Ebay they sounded dull in comparison to how they sound now.
NOW ONTO THE MAIN POINT OF THIS THREAD I've been spending more time this week with the acoustics in my rec room. It's a considerably smaller room than my recording studio and while the speakers sound great in that room, I've been trying different things to help out with the acoustics. As you can see in the photos below, I have one of my Model 19's in a corner, and the other one is not in a corner. I know that you're not "supposed" to place speakers that way, but due to the size and layout of the room, I don't have a choice. Of course, with no acoustic treatments in the room, the 19 in the corner sounds a little louder and has a little more bass than the 19 that's not in the corner. I swapped 19's before and it's the same problem no matter which 19 is in the corner of course. I've had 4 wool blankets tacked up in that corner to deaden it and it helped quite a bit. This past week I added two layers of foam (bed mattress pad/egg crate type foam) over the 4 wool blankets and it has really deadened the acoustical effect of corner placement of that 19 even more.
FIRST QUESTION: Is there anything better than the two layers of foam with 4 wool blankets behind them to deaden this corner? Or, is there something that will work as well and not look so bad? (although I'm getting used to the look)
As you can see in one of the photos, there is a door next to the other Model 19 (the one that's not in a corner). Believe it or not, the system sounds noticeably better with that door open. It sounds more open and airy and detailed, and the stereo balance sounds much better as well. I would think that to "compete" with the other 19 that's in the corner, you'd need the door closed so that this 19 has more of a surface to reflect off of. I guess since I've somewhat deadened the corner effect for the one speaker, getting rid of the door reflection is a good thing for the other one as I want to hear the sound of the speakers, not the sound of the reflections.
SECOND QUESTION: Does the above statement make sense? Is the fact that the system sounds better with the door open also partly due to it being a smaller room, opening the door gives the sound "somewhere to go"/less surface to reflect off of, where as closing the door makes more of an echo chamber?
Lastly, the overall design and layout of this room would appear to be horrible for acoustics, but with the foam in the one corner and the door open in the other, it sounds fantastic. There is carpeting on the floor and ceiling tiles on the ceiling which both absorb a lot of sound, maybe that helps? Both speakers sound to be at about the same volume level now (the corner one no longer sounds considerably louder now that there's foam in that corner), and the bass now sounds like it's coming more from the center (no longer sounds like most of the bass is coming from the left corner speaker).
THIRD QUESTION: Does the fact that there is no rear corner on the right side of the room (see last photo--this side of the room has an opening with no door that leads to my recording studio) help the overall sound of this smaller room by giving the sound/echoes "somewhere to go"/less surface to reflect off of? Or, is the lack of a rear corner in the right side of the room a contributor to the fact that without the foam padding in the front left corner, the left channel sounds louder than the right channel (there is a corner in the rear left side of the room, and no corner in the rear right side of the room)?
LAST QUESTION: It occurred to me that since the left speaker is in the corner, it's a lot closer to the entire left wall. Should I cover that entire left wall with foam (or something "better than foam) or is it mainly the corner that's the culprit and not the closer proximity to the entire left wall (compared to the right speaker being farther from the entire right wall?
Thanks in advance for the help.....
![]()











Bookmarks